Veterans Day - just returned to the office from the Veterans Day program at WHS. All the elementary students sing, the high school choir and band perform, and we have a great speaker every year. This year's speaker had an especially unique military experience - he served as a Tuskegee Airmen - the all-black Army Air Corps pilots during WWII. He talked about President Truman and First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt -- and told everyone to Google them if they didn't know who he was making reference to. He was funny, talked from the heart, and told everyone to get a good education. Liked the program very much.
My favorite part is when the band plays the songs of each of the armed forces, and those who served in those branches stand and salute and are applauded. I don't know why - but I love it.
I love all the old WWII veterans. So many of them wore their old military jackets, hats, etc. So many of their wives in sweet red and blue. When I first started working at the newspaper, there was even a WWI veteran - about 100 years old - and that was cool. Doc. He used to be in Lions Club too.
I'm a sucker for an old guy in a cool hat. :)
So, anyways, Happy Veterans Day. Tell a Veteran thank you. :)
Sounds like a great program. What an honor to get a Tuskegee airman to be the speaker. This past summer, I went to the Shrine Bowl game in Pittsburg since my great nephew was playing in the band, and the pre-game show featured all the military anthems like you heard. And when they finished, four parachutists landed on the football field, the last one carrying the American flag. Definitely had the WOW factor.
ReplyDelete