Sunday, October 21, 2012

Wildlife Special: Black Widow!

Sept. 1, 2012

I remember back in September, the boys had just started school and I hadn’t started working at Kaw Nation just yet.  In the mornings, I would love to walk Ashton into school and I would love to pick Gabe up when he got off school in the afternoons… Ah, the flexibility of working in town – I was soaking it up!  :)  One afternoon, the boys were their usual busy selves playing outside – building forts, catching bugs, playing in the dirt and climbing trees. 

DSC_0763 DSC_0766 DSC_0767

I looked into one of the holes in our front yard and caught a glimpse of a very distinctive spider:

DSC_0669 YUCK!  I got the boys’ attention and they were thrilled.  I was less than thrilled.  ;/

DSC_0683 DSC_0702

DSC_0715 DSC_0718

DSC_0731 DSC_0750

YUCK – again.  I only post these because the boys seem to remember this black widow so vividly…  My boys are such BOYS – all of them!  ;)  This wasn’t the first or only black widow we saw this year – the first one was caught in Ashton’s bug net!  We’ve since done some educating with the boys so they don’t catch any more!  I just looked up Black Widow Spiders on Wikipedia so I could end this post with a but of wisdom, but all the pictures made me heeby geebie and I couldn’t read it.  YUCK!

No comments:

Post a Comment