Friday, September 23, 2011

Breaky Arm

When Gabe was almost two he had this really cute thing he would say:  “I Breaky My Arm.”  And then he would hold up his pretty blue cast…  Mmm hmmm… yes, we are back in that boat again. : )

This past weekend Gabe, Ashton and Kylar were up in the bedroom and Gabe said he was trying to show them how he can climb over the side of the bed, when he fell and hit the floor – right arm first because he was trying to brace himself.  I ran upstairs to hear Gabe squealing, “GET MY MOM I BROKE MY ARM – GET MY MOOOOM I BROKE MY ARM!”  It’s really not a thing you want to hear your kiddo saying!

So:  Saturday night he gets Motrin & ice packs, in the middle of the night and in the morning, more Motrin and ice packs… and we hope all day that he will start playing – but instead he avoids using it at all costs.  Not a good sign.  So, on Monday we went in to the doctor, then over for an X-Ray, and then had it confirmed: a fractured wrist – the bone just below the thumb.  Doctor said it’s common and nothing to worry about – will heal just fine.

Wednesday we got the cast – pretty blue, again.  Gabe says he doesn’t remember his other cast.  I wonder if he remembers those curls?  : ) Anyways Gabe was, and is, acting very brave about everything, but he still gets emotional when he thinks of something he won’t be able to do or gets frustrated about something he can’t do.  I feel bad for him to start Kindergarten this way – having to write everything with his left hand.  He does so well at it though – he’s impressive. 

I read back on my old blog that the day he came home from the doctor, they had put him in a splint and wrapped it with an ace bandage.  I had forgotten this, but he woke up crying and we found him in bed with no splint or wrap on at all – little Houdini!  Well this cast isn’t so great either – he can move it away from his thumb to about the knuckle and then move it back.  UGH – it’s only been on for 3 days – are we going to have to go have it re-set?  I don’t know….  That Boy!  : )

He is a pretty handsome dude though.  His picture in the white football sweater is on Picture Day at school.  Can’t wait for his official Kindergarten photo.  : ) 

No comments:

Post a Comment